Friday, May 9, 2008

Grown Up Tastes???



So you know how you’re often told when you’re little that your tastes will mature? And how your mom uses that as the reason you need to keep eating things you don’t like – because one day your “tastes will mature and you’ll like them”…I never understood that. Why force yourself to tolerate something? Chances are you never really will enjoy it, but rather just numb yourself to the taste so your gag reflex no longer kicks in. There are a few things I hated as a kid that I bet I’d dislike just as much today, despite my oh-so-mature nature :) haha.

For example:
Lima beans



Avocado




Alfredo sauce



Cottage cheese




and

Cordial Cherries



I'm known in my family for knowing exactly what I do and do not like, and being very specific with my tastes. Just go to a restaurant with me once and you'll probably know what I'm talking about. Sometimes I feel badly for the servers when I ask them how a sauce is prepared or if I can make certain alterations/substitutions (sadly, that doesn't stop me from asking…oops :) …I apologize to those who find this annoying. I promise I'm not really that bad!).
I've decided to see if my tastes really have matured or if I still don't like any of the aforementioned things. So within the next week or two I'm going to try them and return with you the results…

Now, as it’s not the holiday season, does anyone know where I can find cordial cherries? :)

3 comments:

Maren said...

Cottage cheese. Really? I had no idea. Avocados, yuck. Guacamole yum. How do you feel about guac? OR lasagna made with cottage cheese?

kez said...

That's where it gets tricky...
No on the guacamole, yes on lasagna (and manicotti, for that matter) made with cottage cheese...

Amber said...

Avocados really aren't so bad. Mostly bland. But they aren't a bad veggie to dislike because really- they are fatty. And they could be fruit, I have no idea. Cordial cherries--not my cup o' tea either. And I really have to be in the right mood for cottage cheese. So hopefully when you try all of these things, you will be in open-taste bud moods. All I know is onions have always been gross. And are still gross. And unfortunately, I have to taste them often as they seem to play a role in EVERYTHING! except ice cream, thank goodness