Friday, June 6, 2008

Bird Watching



So - do you remember what it was like in First Grade? I thought I did...then I went to my sister's first grade class (she's the teacher) to help with a field trip. My goodness! I had a lot of respect for my sister's job prior to visiting her class - but now I think she's an absolute saint/hero/superwoman! Almost 30 kids with just one teacher? I swear, I've never heard the phrase "teacher! teacher! teacher!" more in my life than I did there - and that was just the 10 minutes BEFORE the bell rang for class to start. Every child wanted to be the center of attention. And they were all so adorable! And of course, she assigned me the most interesting ones to look after during the field trip to the aviary. Here are just a few highlights from the day:

- Telling Andrew to stop chasing the poor peacock
- Telling Andrew to stop climbing the fences
- Basically telling Andrew to stop doing whatever he was doing because it would more than likely result in an injury to himself/others/the birds
- Laughing hysterically at anything Brendan said. For example: One of the girls forgot her lunch at home and started crying. Since she lived nearby, she asked if she could run home and get it. Brendan's response to this was: "What's the big deal? Why is every body worried? It's not like there's no food left in the world. Jeez. She can get food here. Would everybody just calm down?" And he has the cutest voice too.
- Trying to find all the kids' shoes after they set them down on the playground and had no recollection of where
- One girl having blisters and crying and then suddenly watching all the girls develop blisters
- Watching the video of their class musical performance
- Remembering what First Grade was like

The next day we built boats in class and made them float in bins of water - I'll let your imagination run with how messy the place become. Chances are, it's not wild enough to picture how messy it really was!

Here are some pictures...the close-up of the little blond boy is Andrew...

Andrew chasing the peacock




3 comments:

Maren said...

Fun days at elementary school! Now i am a touch confused. Where is this school? In NY? In UT? Did you come for a quick visit? When about work? i need a little more explanation.

malia said...

Oh how fun! I love first graders. My mom is a first grade teacher so every time I go home, I hang out in the classroom for a bit. They are just so darling.

And 30 kids?! That is INSANE! They don't pay teachers enough for what they have to go through.

But I'm glad you got to go on the field trip. So fun! :)

Amber said...

I love that the kid told everyone to calm down because there was plenty of food in the world! That's awesome. Man, six year olds are great.