Monday, June 16, 2008

Fireflies!





I love fireflies. I love the magical, whimsical sensation they evoke. Like you've stepped into a world where fairies exist, where wishes come true and where meadows of wildflowers abound.
To me, fireflies are synonymous with summer: With days spent by the pool and experiencing the joy of the hot pavement beneath my feet. With adventures past the fields and into the woods behind our house where we would build forts and tree houses and imagine all sorts of things. With sitting on our porch swing long after the sun had set, listening to the crickets and inhaling deeply to smell the fresh corn scent carried on the soft breeze that danced through the air.
I used to run around barefoot in my yard with a Mason jar and catch them. Not to brag, but I became an expert firefly catcher.
Last night Maria, Liz, Ali and I went for a walk in Riverside Park and I got to see (at catch!) my first firefly of the season! Needless to say, I will be making as many trips to the park as possible to delight in the wonder that fireflies bring!

2 comments:

Amber said...

you took a poor defenseless firefly and stole it from it's happy home for your own selfish desires! you mean mean meanie! just kidding. I like fireflies too. but because there aren't really any in the city in houston, i kind of thought they were fictional until I was like 11. ha. yay that they are real :)

Livi said...

This happened to me last year. Being from the west coast its a whole new phenomenon and magical to say the least.